Monday, November 7, 2011

Fads from around the world

The Advanced I Reading students have been learning about fads.  According to the Longman Dictionary, a fad is something that people like or do for a short time, or that is fashionable for a short time.  For fun, we decided to share fads from our countries (from our childhood or from today).  Here are our fads:

Ashley: My favorite TV show as a young girl was Saved by the Bell.  Here is a video of the theme song.  It’s really cheesy, but I watched this show every afternoon.  



Marion: Around the year 2000, in France, we loved musicals. One of them was Romeo & Juliette. Every (little) girls, like me, was in love with Romeo. That's why we wanted to look like Juliette, who wore all the time, a really strange cap with pearl.



Maha: This is Sally. It is my favorite cartoon when I was young. I was love her hair, face, clothes, and her style. I hoped to get one of her dresses with the hat. I was crazy in Sally and I still love her.



Sukainah: This is my favorite cartoon when I was a child. Its name is Haidi. I imitated Haidi in everything: haircut, clothes (tank top), even her attitude or reaction. I also attached my photo to see how I was similar to Haidi :)




Romai: This fad started in the 1990s. The boys or teenagers caught this fad from the prisoners because they worn the same size for all of them. Then this fad transferred to the world’s countries. Now, this fad be type of the crimes in some states, for examples Chicago, Florida, and Georgia.


 Jean Rene: This is a picture of a mule that people used for transportation. Today, this would be considered old-fashioned in Haiti!!!! Is that funny guys????


We hope you enjoyed looking at our fads.  Please tell us what you think.  Do you remember any fads from your childhood?  What fads are popular in your country now?  Why do you think something becomes a fad?  Should people follow fads and trends?  Leave a comment below and let us know!

7 comments:

  1. Ahh, this is so great! I loved Saved by the Bell too. It is still one of the best shows ever, for all time, for the next million years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!

    Sukainah - sooo adorable!

    Romai - I didn't know it was actually illegal to wear pants below the waist in some places... I'm surpised it's only in a few states. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite fad was the pump shoes from the late 80s. When I was a child, *everyone* wanted these!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c2KUEm2GW8

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite fad (in the 1970's I think) was "Big Hair!" I back-combed and sprayed my (long) hair out so far, I could barely get through doorways. Everyone with a lot of hair did it and we felt we were "da bomb!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite fad was my Dr.Martin boots! I had a blue pair with pink laces. Soooo cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That last comment was from Charlotte, not 'elc'!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the 80's, my favorite fads were "jelly" shoes (which as I understand are making a comeback now)and crimped hair hehehe...

    I think my favorite fad in the 90's was JNCO jeans and plaid shirts... the "grunge" look. then, a little later around '99 and 2000 it was the huge UFO pants and t-shirts with cartoons from the 1980's (Rainbow Brite, My Little Ponies and stuff)

    ReplyDelete